Under the Construction Quiet Woods Japanese Version
Loading...

What Living means?(My Latest Hero)


It's such a contrast seeing myself and my child. I see a lot of limitation in me and a lot of potential in my child.
At midpoint of life, I 'm re-thinking what living means? Roger Ebert wrote "The lesson Studs has taught me is that your life is over when you stop living it." in his blog "How Studs helps me lead my life"
and I find the reason of spiritual practice as "Character is the part of us that carries our values, our ethics, and our convictions, the sum total of how we lived our life, the choices we have made, the lessons we have learned from our parents and teachers, as well as the challenges we have faced." in the book "Work as a Spiritual Practice" by Lewis Richmond.
I realized what subjects draw me most are “philosophy” and “aesthetics” when I read the article “ AT HOME WITH LEONARD KOREN An Idiosyncratic Designer, a Serene New Home” on New York times, Home & Garden section.
As the matter of fact, I didn’t know the word “aesthetics”, “idiosyncratic” before. I had to check English-Japanese dictionary to understand the meaning of the words.
Although I didn’t know him before, I found a lot of commonalities (or wannabe qualities) in him on this article and the bellow is the summary.
• He has the past of 60’s, 70’s.
• He wrote the book about Japanese culture.
• He is not an academic, yet a philosopher because he makes you think about things in a different way. Even job title of design philosopher is kind of cool.
• Even he is described as “a believer in not believing”, corporations reach out to him as a trend spotter and early adopter.
• He has the attitude “Every time I saw the word in print it put me in this questioning mode,” he said. What does the author mean by it?
• His interpretation of own legal confrontation experience as “upscale a bad experience into a philosophical principle “is inspiring to the middle aged person like me in realistic way.
• Child rearing in later age.
• His strongest asset or talent seems to express his life cinematically and analytically-a documentary mixed into a philosophical exercise, which indicate capable to look into things as subjectively, objectively and multidimensional.

In his book ‘Wabi-Sabi: For Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers, he wrote one of reason Japanese have a hard time to explain what wabe-sabi is “The Japanese language, or the conventions of its use, is good for communicating subtleties of mode, vagueness, and logic of the heart, but not so good for explaining things in rational way?” and do you remember a recent article in the New York Times Magazine by Guy Deutscher, Does Your Language Shape How You Think?, looked at linguistic research demonstrating that differences in language give people from various cultures distinctly different ways of experiencing and conceptualizing the world.
When I saw the excerpt from his book by goggling


Wabi refer to
• A way of life, a spiritual path
• The inward, the subjective
• A philosophical construct
• Spatial events


Sabi refer to
• Material object, art and literature
• The outward, the objective
• An aesthetic ideal
• Temporal events

which seems to show his analytical skill.I felt finally find spokesperson who is capable to understand and express the essence of Japan which seems to breathe in living entity, in imperfection, nature. (Although I still not read his book yet.)

I tend to fantasize and romanticize things and imagination is the strong motive. This time,decode double helix nature of culture and life might be the latest find Fantasy.
Let's keep dreaming and questioning.
Japan 6144113664186494678

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item

About

SPONSORS

INTERESTED IN ADVERTISING?